Saturday, July 28, 2012

A New Thrift Store Find Transformation...

Hi Girls...

If you've been a long time visitor to my blog, you may recall that about this time last year, I shared with you one of my very first thrift store transformation projects which was turning this boring but functional desk caddy.....


Into this.....


You can see that post here.

Well, I recently found a similar desk caddy at one of my local Goodwill stores for just a mere $2.99 and of course, I just had to buy it as I've been itching to give something new a little makeover.

Here's what it looked like when I bought it....



When I first started this project, these were the papers I intended to use, already cut to size.  I first cut pieces from some regular heavy card stock paper to get my pattern pieces, then I traced them onto my scrapbook paper before cutting...


But then, I changed my mind about some of the scrapbook papers I wanted to use, so this pile shows my final choice...


After choosing the papers I was going to use, I then painted the edges of the desk caddy to cover the areas that I knew wouldn't be covered by the scrapbook paper..



I let that dry overnight, then all I had to do was Modge Podge all the pieces in place.

And this is what it looks like now..









For the front edge, I had to do a bit of fudging to cover the entire section.  The desk caddy is more than 12 inches wide so I was short a few inches on the paper as the paper was only 12 inches wide.  I had to cut an extra smaller piece to cover the gap..


I have to admit that transforming this desk caddy was a bit more difficult than the first one because of the curved edges which made it much harder to cut the paper to size.  The first one I did had simple square edges.  With the curved edges on this one, I had to do a lot of delicate trimming of edges to get them to fit just right.

But it was worth it as I think it turned out pretty good.

Just remember.  Don't pass up good functional items from the thrift stores just because they don't look the way you want them to.  Things like this can be transformed very easily in very little time.

Well, I hoped you enjoyed seeing my little weekend project. 

See you soon!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it, Kim! I especially love that rose paper. I find it so hard to cut patterns the right size and I end up wasting pretty paper which just about kills me! Okay- maybe it doesn't KILL me but... ;)

ozgrkdn said...

Hi Kim, My daughter's blog LookbookUnlimited is began broadcasting...I hope, you do support her:)))Have a nice day:))

Alessandra said...

Hi, i' m new to your blog. Great congratulations because all your creations are very beautiful and your blog is a dream! I' ll folllow you with pleasure.
Kisses.
Alessandra.